Sunday, March 29, 2009

Not losing weight while IN KETOSIS? There's a few good reasons...

So I've been on a fairly steady downward spiral when it comes to weight loss.

I've been ecstatic. The whole low carb thing has been really working out for me. I was 252.8 in the beginning of February and now, NOW, I'm 225 - even. And? I've been 225 even for a few days now. It's driving me nuts.

I've read numerous places that a plateau is somewhere around 3 weeks or less. A weight loss stall is around 4 weeks or more. I realize 3 or 4 days isn't something to freak out over but seriously...WTF?

I've been searching the web to explain to me how can I be so ketogenic - my Ketostix have been virtually black - but my weight loss has completely stopped. HOW IS IT POSSIBLE.

Enter Dr. Michael R. Eades.

From The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. - Low-carb and calories - 5|27|08
"On a low-carb diet your body burns fat for energy. But it doesn’t care where this fat comes from; it can come from the diet or it can come from the fat cells or it can come from both. If you are consuming enough fat to meet all your body’s requirements, your body won’t go after the fat in the fat cells no matter how severely you restrict your carbs. You will burn dietary fat only and no body fat."

Jesus. I totally wasn't thinking about that.

I've been so strict with my carbs. SO flonkin' strict that I came up with a cream based glaze for my pork ribs instead of the regular BBQ stuff for fear of carbs. But you know what pork ribs have a ridiculous amount of? FAT. Delicious, awesome, fat. It tastes spectacular after being slow cooked. But again, really, really fatty. I can easily understand my body running on that as opposed to the my fat stores. Eating ribs for days at a time, plus some steak, eggs, cheese and other wackiness has not raised my weight but definitely stopped everything.

I understand that once you drop that first 10 percent of your body weight things can get tough. It's argued that if you've ever maintained at a particular weight your body remembers that and tries to do it again on the way down. 225 was the lightest I've been in my Adulthood and that could also play a part in my being stuck. I'm not taking any of these answers laying down though. I'm cutting fat, upping protein, but above all else NOT DROPPING CALORIES. Last thing I need is to lower my metabolism. I've gone to the gym for the past 2 days and will be in there tomorrow with some serious weight training. I don't take things lying down!

TO BE CONTINUED.

13 comments:

  1. Any update yet? I'm in same position!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES actually. I've started moving again. I've been playing with Intermittent fasting and it really helped. I'll be blogging on that soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kudos for bringing up the "fat" issue. Far too many low carb people are under the mistaken impression you can drink a cup of heavy cream, chased with a stick of butter and lose weight. I've been doing this for about 7 years and I can tell you that when my fat content is too high (and I eat very low-carb) I will actually gain weight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been in ketis for 4 weeks. I have not lost any weoght since the 1st 5 days. I'm below 20 carbs and I'm watching the calories and fat. I am walking. I need to lose only 10 lbs. I take HRT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been reading your blog last couple of weeks and enjoy every bit. Thanks.desing arts

    ReplyDelete
  6. that's really a fantastic post ! added to my favourite blogs list..
    Pest control las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m really trying to focus on my weight for multiple reasons, but the biggest one is because I don’t feel attractive. I know that I am, but sometimes it feels like I can’t get a girlfriend because of my weight, and it severely lowers my self-esteem. Love meter and valentine friends

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article.....I really impressed while reading your post.....Thank you so much , it will useful to every one....
    desing arts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very interesting post for losing weight, low carbohydrate diet is very effective. I have tried this before and with just 2 weeks, you can see the result.

    ReplyDelete